Speech-Revised

Driving on your way to an exciting Vancouver Canucks game; who will win, Canucks, or Chicago? As you imagine how the game will play out, you drive over the new 10-lane Port Mann Bridge. What you may not be aware of is, you are being tolled by an electronic system. I, Jarrod Vanthournout, am here today to talk to you about the toll on the new Port Mann Bridge. First off, I will tell you about why they tolled the bridge. I will then talk about the pros and cons about the toll. Last I will tell you about the pricing.


First things first, why did they toll the Port Mann Bridge? If they hadn't I wouldn’t have a speech, would I? Well the thing is the project cost approximately 3 billion dollars! Now that’s a lot of money. They tolled the bridge so they could pay off this project. The question is, was it the right choice?


With the toll there are some good aspects, as well as some bad. Let’s start with the pros. A really good part of the toll is that instead of stopping traffic at a booth the vehicles are in constant movement without needing to stop or slow down. Unfortunately nothing is perfect. One of the problems with the tolling system is that there are flaws; some vehicles have been paid in a different category during different trips over the Port Mann Bridge. Another problem with the bridge is the cost.


Speaking of cost, let’s get to the prices of the toll. The current prices of the toll are following: 1.50 for a car, 75 cents for a motorcycle, 3 dollars for a small truck, and 4.50 for a large truck. I would like to note that these prices for 1-way, not over and back. However this December, toll rates will double, making going over the bridge even more expensive. To keep this discount, you can sign up for Treo. Another way to not need to pay the toll is to take public transit, such as the skytrain, or the bus.


Today I have talked to about the Port Mann Bridge toll. Let’s recap: I have told you about why they tolled the bridge, as well as the pros and cons of them doing so. Also I have spoken about the prices of the toll. I now invite you all to make your own opinions on the toll. Who knows, it might even be when you’re crossing the bridge to a Canucks game.

I haven't timed myself yet, but if it's still over time I could take out the part I coloured red... Any other suggestions are also welcome.

1 comments:

Post a Comment